FRIED BROCCOLI AND KALE WITH GARLIC, CUMIN AND LIME

FRIED BROCCOLI AND KALE WITH GARLIC, CUMIN AND LIME


Why this one?
You guessed it, we had kale in our veg box. Having tried to cook kale multiple ways and I have to admit I still haven't really got the kale craze perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I would rather eat a burger and have a glass of Prosseco than do a spin class and 'treat' myself to a juice of vegetables. 

Find the recipe here...https://www.theguardian.com/global/2016/apr/18/easy-ottolenghi-vegetable-recipes

Any substitutes? 
Well the recipe asked for curly kale but I only had Tuscan kale.
I also only had frozen broccoli so used that even though the recipe called for fresh.

The actual cooking of the dish
I  had the biggest drama cooking this - nothing to do with the actually cooking. That was pretty easy, blanching the vegetables, then frying the garlic and cumin. But when it came to frying the kale, basically into crisps, pandemonium ensued - the fire alarm blazing, smoke filling the kitchen, the heat sensor going off, the baby stirring in her bed all while I flapped a tea towel like a crazed women over the smoke alarm but to no avail. Still the alarms blared, panic emanating from me....do. not. wake. up. baby, still I have no idea how to stop the ear splitting noise. Finally I got up on a chair and just took the smoke alarms down, relief... the noise stopped and the baby was still asleep.

By the time I got to try the dish I was a sweaty mess.

What I thought
Zingy lime droplets peppering each broccoli floret, an unexpected tingled with each bite, the crunch of the kale disintegrating with each taste then the hit of the crunchy sweet garlic slices and finally a pow of freshness from the mint. Complementary flavours which work brilliant.

My only comment, which links back to my opening statement is that it still felt like a very healthy dish. Now there isn't anything wrong with that, but I personally think it works best with something a little naughty, like sausages or mac and cheese.    

Difficulty: Easy - just watch out for the heat of the pan and smoke alarms

Tastiness rating: 8/10

Next time I'd... not do anything different

Comments