Baked Kale, Spinach and Ricotta stuffed Conchiglioni

Because it looked awesome. Simply put it's spinach and ricotta filled pasta served on a base of tomato sauce with mozzarella on the top. Spinach and ricotta ravioli is one of my favorite quick teas and this looked like a souped up version of that. A must cook dish.
As with most of the dishes I cook, the scheduling revolved around what was in the fridge. It felt a bit like this dish was meant to be cooked this week as our veg box arrived with kale in it. I'm not a massive fan of kale so was pleased to be able to find a use for it which wasn't boiled or in a smoothie - not really my vibe! I also had a bag of spinach in the fridge from the previous weeks veg box, starting to turn despite my best efforts to hide it in all our weeks dishes.

Find the recipe here..........https://www.metro.news/gizzi-erskine-on-that-feeling-fat-post-and-slowing-down-in-the-kitchen/1298893/

Any substitutes?
Well, as always there is something. I didn't have enough kale or spinach so just used what I had and then bulked it out with a bit of rocket.
But I had and used EVERYTHING else - pretty impressive for me.

The actual cooking of the dish
I cooked this on a Monday so a "normal" work day - my husband took the long commute into the other room to his new home office and me and my baby girl had the long day stretched out in front of us. Luckily this dish could be cooked in stages - handy as I did it during nap times.

This was nice and easy and started off by blanching the greens and then whizzing them in a whazzer. If you've read my tomato sauce blog you'll know this is a.k.a. a food processor.

Next a pretty fun bit where I popped the spinach and ricotta filling into the pasta shells - I thought it was going to be tricky and fiddly but it really wasn't.

And then bake.





Where I ate it
I'm ashamed to say on the sofa again. I feel context needs to be given, very very surprisingly our baby did not settle tonight. So my dinner was eaten whilst listen to a crying baby - oh the perfect way to enjoy a dinner.

What I thought
It looked like the picture - woohoo! So proud.
A hit of chilli, deep 'tomatoee' sauce, a kick of lemon and soft large pasta shells and gooey mozzarella. All delicious things in their own right and merged wonderfully. It reminded me of the crab, chilli and lemon pasta which I cooked the other week in the sense that at first I felt a little disappointed with the flavour but by the end when all the different aspects of the dish had blended I couldn't get enough of it.
Probably the most delightful part of this dish was the pasta. Perfect texture and such a satisfying size, the big shell really added some and was a perfect vessel for the sauce - all a glorious carb fest.


Difficulty: Easy but only if you have a food processor

Tastiness rating: 8/10

Next time i'd...leave the lemon out, only a personal thing but the citrus didn't work for me. And perhaps a bit more Parmesan because Parmesan is the queen of all cheeses and you can never have too much.

















Comments