Smoked Haddock Mornay Jacket Potatoes

Smoked Haddock Morny Jacket Potatoes



Why this one?
Well jacket potatoes are one of my most favorite foods ever, normally with cheese and beans but this was a loaded jacket potato skin with cheese and smoked haddock mixed with some spice and mustard. I'd never done a loaded jacket potato skins so thought it was a good time to try one.

Another reason was that I had a piece of smoked haddock in the freezer and we had jackets potatoes too - no need to go out to get anything else,a big plus in COVID 19 times.











Find the recipe here.....sorry cannot find a link, you'll need to by the book. The book is worth it for this recipe.

Any substitutes?
No chives or parsley
No white pepper - used black instead

The actual cooking of the dish
This was another relatively quick dish from Gizzi's SLOW cookbook. I cooked the jackets in the morning, scooped about the middles and left it in the fridge.


Once our little baby was asleep I cooked the fish and mixed up the filling. So easy and it looked so good I had to resist eating it from the pan with a spoon. Then loaded the filling into the skins and used some A+ balancing skills to make sure they
 didn't fall over in the baking dish.








Where I ate it
Obvs on the sofa - need to get out of this habit!







What I thought
Literally like heaven on a plate! I cannot describe how delicious this was but I will try and give it ago using an array of adjectives. Here goes:

Warming
Smokey
Comforting
Deliciously rich
Heaven on a plate
Savoring every mouthful
Cheesey
Oozy

To me this dish felt like putting your best, most loved jumper on, settling down on the sofa for a cosy night, candles lit, fire roaring and blanket wrapped round you - who knew a loaded jacket potato could do that to me, but it really really did. 

Difficulty: Easy

Tastiness rating: 10/10 - yep the first 10/10

Next time I'd..........make sure I don't cut the jacket potatoes with a cross on the top, they need to be pricked because it made the skins less stable and one fell over when it was being re-cooked.

















Comments