BLUEBERRY, ALMOND AND LEMON CAKE

BLUEBERRY, ALMOND AND LEMON CAKE

Why this one?
I love cake, I mean really love it. Myself, sister and mum are cake concourse, rating all cakes on taste, texture and look. For one of my sister's birthdays she did a week long tour of cake sampling in Suffolk - she's a real pro. Therefore it's very unsurprising to me that my first dish from SIMPLE was cake.  

Find the recipe here...https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/blueberry-almond-and-lemon-cake

Any substitutes?
None - yippie!

The actual cooking of the dish
A slight shady mum moment occurred when I making this cake, it happened whilst the baby was napping. I took HER blueberries and turned them from healthy snack into sugar laden sponge - I bet you can't guess which version she prefered?

This recipe required the use of a free-standing mixer, I don't have one of those and have always used my whazzing machine (I believe other people call this a food processor) for cakes and this was no exception.

Pretty much a basic sponge mixture and then mix the majority of the blueberries in my hand at the end and then transfer to the loaf tin to bake.

I had to re-read the next step about a hundred times as it broke, what I thought was a cardinal sin of baking - opening the oven door when the cake is cooking. Never the less I followed the recipe rules and opened the oven door not once but twice. Firstly to put the remaining blueberries on the top of the cake and then secondly to cover the cake with foil.

When it was done, it looked ok - no sinking. Perhaps you can open the oven door whilst baking a cake after all - that's news to me.

What I thought
I had my official cake tasters in action for this one and when handing a slice of cake to my baby holding she immediately lunged for the soft yellow middle - succeeding in grabbing a fist full and demolishing it as quickly as her dad. Maybe she knew they were her blueberries. 

Lots of yums ensued, but fresh out of the oven cake is hard to beat, never the less it was still great on day two.

The moist sponge was golden except where the blueberries had oozed leaving wonderful purple splatters. The sponge was light but had texture, thanks to the almonds.

The real star of this cake was the lemon icing topping, simply icing sugar and lemon juice just drizzled over the top but wow, it really packed a punch.

Difficulty: Easy if you are used to making sponge cakes

Tastiness rating 9/10

Next time I'd....perhaps cook it for slightly less time, the outsides were slightly too dark. They didn't taste burnt or cause any dryness but for aesthetics I think it would look nicer. 

Comments