5 SPICE PEACH AND RASPBERRY SALAD

5 SPICE PEACH AND RASPBERRY SALAD




Why this one?
Surprise surprise I had one of the main ingredients, this time peaches which needed using up so when I was flicking through Ottolenghi doing this weeks meal plan I stumbled upon this salad and thought I would give it ago for our lunch. Now it is a slightly odd choice as my husband is not a fan of fruit with savoury dishes where as I think it's wonderfully exotic. So I bribed him into eating this with the promise of a takeaway for dinner - it worked!

Find the recipe here... https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/aug/06/peach-raspberry-recipes-belly-pork-salad-cake-stuffed-yotam-ottolenghi

Any substitutes?
Well, I am back to my old tricks here not having all the ingredients and just adding alternatives.This time I added a bit of rocket, simply because I had it in the fridge and I didn't have an radicchio. 

The actual cooking of the dish
I hired in my sous chef (husband) to do the laborious cutting on the peaches into half cm crescents and I just popped everything else in a bowl and mixed together. It really was that simple. 

What I thought
It looked beautiful on the plate, the vibrant green of the watercress made the sunset stained peaches pop with a splash of bright pink from the raspberries, however, I felt that the dressing was just too sharp. For me, it was either that the amount of vinegar was excessive or that it hadn't be balanced with something sweet to cut through that acidity. I should add that this could be because of the missing radicchio. 

My husbands comments on it were as follows "would rather have had peaches and raspberries with custard".  I can't say I disagree with him.

One part I did love was the vinegary peaches, their flesh spiced up with the cider vinegar, I ended up picking all the peach slices off the serving plate.

Difficulty: Easy

Tastiness rating: 5/10

Next time I'd.... Probably not make it again. I still love the idea of fruit and salad but may just do a classic peach, leaves, mozzarella and Param ham plate instead

Comments