CUCUMBER AND LAMB'S LETTUCE SALAD

CUCUMBER AND LAMB'S LETTUCE SALAD


Why this one?
This dish formed part of a spread I did for my mum's birthday. I took inspiration from Ottolenghi himself, offering meal plan inspirations at the back of SIMPLE. This ranges for weekend day dinners to summer feasts and I just love it. Many of the dishes in this book are mezze style so it really helps pairing the right recipes.

Find the recipe here... https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/yotam-ottolenghis-cucumber-and-lambs-lettuce-salad

Any substitutes?
I didn't use coriander as lots of the other dishes I was serving had it in and my dad isn't a massive fan so I left it out of this dish. 

The actual cooking of the dish
Literally whisk up all the ingredients for the dressing, arrange the lambs lettuce and herbs and then drizzle the dressing.

We are very lucky to live on a street which oozes community spirit, exacerbated by lockdown, the street WhatsApp buzzing with support and requests. I took to this group begging for Nigella seeds and my saviour of a neighbour had a bottle lurking around at the back of the cupboard, as this tiny black dots are so tricky to come by in Stowmarket.

What I thought
The fresh cut grass green of the lambs lettuce against the white of the bowl with the drizzling of yoghurt dressing punctuated with pinpricks of black - it looks fabulous and thats a pretty great achievement for a salad.  

The ginger just sung out zingying the taste buds, the yoghurt cooling, while the mint and the cucumber added a freshness perfect for a hot sunny day.

Difficulty: Easy

Tastiness rating: 9/10

Next time I'd.... Would try it again, perhaps using the dressing on other salads.  

Comments