HOT CHARRED CHERRY TOMATOES WITH COLD YOGHURT



HOT CHARRED CHERRY TOMATOES WITH COLD YOGHURT

Why this one?
A lifelong obsession with cherry tomatoes meant I could not not make this dish. My husband was awakened to this deep deep love once when he'd just had a knee operation and was incapacitated on the sofa. I tired to serve him a bacon sandwich with a side of cherry tomatoes - for him this was a step too far, for me, when ripe and warm from the sun I could get eat them by the punnet. 

Find the recipe here...https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/ottolenghis-hot-charred-cherry-tomatoes-with-cold-yoghurt

Any substitutes?
Another recipe requiring oregano, this time I used a fresh herb kindly donated from a neighbours garden. This at least resembled oregano but it could have been marjoram so who knows if this was a substitute or not.
Urfa chilli flakes - not sure what these are and definitely didn't have any so just used normal chilli flakes.

The actual cooking of the dish
During the prep it looked and smelt amazing, opening the fridge during the 24 hours I let the tomatoes sit in their cooking liquid (not a necessity but fine to do to prevent on the day work) my sense were assaulted with the smell of lemon, garlic and cumin and my eyes beamed when looking at the sumptuously red orbs.

Another crackingly easy dish to cook, roast the tomatoes and finish under the grill to really get the charred skins and then pour on top of the lemony yoghurt.

What I thought
Heaven! I could eat this dish all day long. Sweet, powerful tomatoes balanced by the cooling yoghurt - when swirled together my taste buds sang. The garlic a little spicy, the tomatoes rich and deep and the lemon drawing it all together. 

To look at it was a work of art, brilliant white of the yogurt rippled with the red tomato juice, flecked with charred skins - a table pleasing dish in every way. 

Difficulty: Easy

Tastiness rating: 10/10

Next time I'd....Do nothing different. An essential of any mezze but would be great as an summer evening dinner served with a fresh baked bread and a side salad.  

I implore everyone to make this. 

Comments