BEEF TOMATO CARPACCIO WITH SPRING ONION AND GINGER SALSA


BEEF TOMATO CARPACCIO WITH SPRING ONION AND GINGER SALSA



Why this one?
I'd already ear marked this dish as one I wanted to make when I did my initial recipe selection, however I just hadn't got round to doing it, often putting it off for fear of under ripe, disappointing tomatoes. However, a fellow Instagram user, who is following a similar journey to me in that she is also cooking Ottolenghi dishes made this and said it stole the show so I thought I would give it ago for a light Sunday lunch with a ball of Mozzarella.

Find the recipe here... https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/23/tomato-recipes-salad-red-onion-chickpea-chinese-ginger-yoghurt-yotam-ottolenghi

Any substitutes?
I used squeezy ginger instead of fresh which would have needed to be muddled in a pestle and mortar, I ask you, who has time for that?!?
I didn't have any sherry vinegar so used red wine vinegar instead 

The actual cooking of the dish
Super easy to cook, a bit of fine chopping for the spring onions and chilli but I have a half moon knife which make finely chopping anything a doddle. 

What I thought
The tip of my tongue tingled from the first mouthful, the ginger zingying while the chilli and spring onions added an irresistible hint of heat.

The tomatoes were perfectly ripe, almost at the point where they are over, making them the perfect showcase for this dish. The acidity from the vinegar complementing the expansiveness of the coriander - this herb such a welcome change for the ever classic (and still wonderful) basil and tomato combination.

The dish tasted like Summer, visions of sitting on a rustic table shaded from the mid day sun by a canopy of grape vines, savouring each mouthful of the dish which managed to hit every taste experience, heat, texture, sweetness and acidity. 

Difficulty: Easy, especially if you use squeezy ginger

Tastiness rating: I am going there.... 10/10

Next time I'd.... do nothing different and always do beef tomatoes in this way. 

Comments