ROASTED AUBERGINE WITH ANCHOVIES AND OREGANO


ROASTED AUBERGINE WITH ANCHOVIES AND OREGANO




Why this one?
So basically I had an aubergine in my veg box that'd been lurking in the fridge for about a week and a half, it needed using up but I had no idea what to do with it. I'd only every really used aubergine in a ragu or roasted veg so this was quite different, but looked easy so thought I would give it ago.. 

Find the recipe here...https://www.foodgal.com/2018/11/yotam-ottolenghis-roasted-eggplant-with-anchovies-and-oregano/

Note, this recipe uses numbers rather than weights/ml of oil and anchovies. Below is this the weights/ml if you prefer.

100ml olive oil
20g anchovy fillets

Any substitutes?
No oregano again - I have now got a plant in the garden. 

The actual cooking of the dish
Made as part of a mezze to accompany a BBQ'ed chicken, this was super easy and made in two parts so great for entertaining. Another plus as an entertaining or busy life dish is that it is served at room temperature. 

So all that is required is to mix the ingredients for the dressing, bake the aubergines and when ready to serve combined everything. 

What I thought
Squishy, soft and salty flesh coated in deliciously glossy oil, leaving a slight slick of oil on the lips. Delicious until I had a mouthful of the gorgeous shiny blackish purple skin which was just tough - the texture like eating one of my daughters rice water snacks. When considering why this was I suspect it was because the aubergine was a little old.

Difficulty: Easy

Tastiness rating: 7/10

Next time I'd....Use a fresher aubergine and not put the parsley in, it's just a flavour I find overpowering and universally unwanted. 

I might try serving warm as side to meat or with some rice. 

Comments