SEEDED CHICKEN SCHNITZEL

SEEDED CHICKEN SCHNITZEL





Why this one?
I honestly think I just really fancied some fried chicken, we had some chicken breasts in the freezer and I did not want what was planned for tonight's dinner - probably fish and vegetables knowing this pattern of behaviour well.

This was fried chicken strips but with a sesame seeds in the coating. 

Find the recipe here...there are similar ones online but not the recipe from SIMPLE

Any substitutes?
When searching through the internet for this recipe I noticed that I had forgotten to add the coriander seeds to my version - whoops. Not an intentional deviation for the recipe.

The actual cooking of the dish
Day dreaming of slowly cooking this dish with a glass of wine while the baby slept and my husband played tennis was broken by the shock of bath water from my little baby girl who'd recently discovered the pure joy of splashing. So by the time I actually got round to cooking I was pretty tired and just wanted to sit down and chill alas I persevered.

As a hater of raw meat my husband had bashed the chicken and cut it into 3 strips per breast so all I had to do was flour, egg and coat in the seedy, breadcrumb mixture and then fry.

They only took about 6 minutes to fry and turned from anaemic, limp strips into crispy, golden batons of tempting joy.

I teamed this was a cous-cous salad.

What I thought
It took all my will power to refrain from loosing all control and driving into the pile of crunchy caramel coloured chicken schnitzel strips before plating it up.

Feeling slightly naughty crunching my way through the crispy coating to the tender centre of the chicken. This felt like such a treat of a meal but without being overly greasy and leaving you feeling hollow inside like after you've had a KFC or McDonald's.

Interestingly, the sesame added a creaminess which was welcomed.

The only thing I think was lacking was some salt but perhaps the conditioning of eating fried chicken comes with an expectation of excess salt.

Difficulty: Medium

Tastiness rating: 8/10

Next time I'd.... add a bit of salt to the coating. In the book this coating is recommended with white fish so I will try that. 

Comments