SHALLOW-FRIED POTATOES WITH ROSEMARY AND SUMAC

SHALLOW-FRIED POTATOES WITH ROSEMARY AND SUMAC




Why this one?
Friday night treat night called for pizza and these potatoes/chips. I was also feeling a bit bad about having not cooked from Ottolenghi for a while so I decided to cook these as they looked easy and I had all the ingredients - potatoes, oil, garlic, Rosemary, thyme and sumac. 

Find the recipe here... https://www.theguardian.com/global/2016/apr/18/easy-ottolenghi-vegetable-recipes

Any substitutes?
The recipe called for Charlotte potatoes, I don't think I had Charlotte's, just whatever was in this weeks veg box. 

The actual cooking of the dish
The process of following recipes has revealed judging length is really hard - often resorting to getting the ruler out to at least make sure I am cutting to roughly the right size. Luckily for this dish my measurement skills were not stretched only having to quarter the potatoes.

Then fry the potatoes in oil, the recipe called for 30 minutes, I cooked them for roughly 40 minutes only as the pizza's were quite done and I wanted the enticing golden colour for the chips.

What I thought
Scrumptious - crispy and slightly greasy digging up memories of my Granny's homemade chips. I mean these weren't quite as good as hers but pretty damn close. 

The texture of the potato was soft in the middle but crisp on the outside, not something that is always achieved with fried potatoes, especially if they haven't been blanched first. 

The sumac adding a dusting of pink and salty aromatic hint. 


Difficulty: Easy

Tastiness rating: 9/10

Next time I'd....I'd use Charlotte potatoes. 

Comments