SLOW COOKED LAMB SHOULDER WITH MINT AND CUMIN


SLOW COOKED LAMB SHOULDER WITH MINT AND CUMIN




Why this one?
I don't eat lamb so this is a very weird choice for me to cook. I am really not sure what drove me to choose it I can only think that I was trying to show my mum how much I cared for her on her lockdown birthday by making the ultimate sacrifice for a foodie, cooking a dish you're not going to eat.

Find the recipe here... https://www.fairgamemeat.co.za/yotam-ottolenghis-slow-cooked-lamb-shoulder-with-mint-and-cumin/

Any substitutes?
None - I really was making an effort

The actual cooking of the dish
You know a dish is going all out when you have to start the prep the night before. Following the savouring of the last of the evening sunshine with the first Pimms of the summer I cracked on with whazzing the ingredients to make the paste which is to marinate on the meat overnight. I enlisted my husband to get handsy with the lamb, covering the flesh in the burnt orange paste, the smell conjuring up visions of holidays to India or Morocco.

Luckily I have a baby so was up nice and early to get the lamb in the oven, we were eating at lunchtime and it took 6 and a half hours to cook!

Put the lamb in to cook and that was pretty much it, I added some vegetables and basted the meat 3 times during the cooking time but nothing else was required.   

What I thought
Clearly the comments about the taste of this are not going to be mine as I didn't eat it, but I have to say it looked so inviting, I was tempted for a while just to use my fork to slowly prise the tender meat away, watching the pulled lamb strips dangling alluring. 

Words from my sister "chard, crispy, delicious skin with melt off the bone meat" - not bad! There was a general agreement that the meat needed more salt [racks brain to remember if I added salt, conclusion I can't remember if I did]. 

My thoughts -  the vegetables cooked with the lamb were delicious, sometimes slow cooked vegetable can be reminiscent of terrible school lunches where as a ladle full of carrots are dolopped onto your school tray they instantly turn to mush. These vegetables were soft but still true to their origins, having absorbed the flavour of the meat and the rub - delicious. It works wonderfully as a centrepiece because it looks so impressive and what's even better is it is so easy to do. 

Difficulty: Easy

Tastiness rating: 

Next time I'd....add more or indeed any salt. 

Comments