TOMATO AND BREAD SALAD WITH ANCHOVIES AND CAPERS

TOMATO AND BREAD SALAD WITH ANCHOVIES AND CAPERS




Why this one?
What's not to love about the sound of this dish? We'd also had our veg box delivered this week which included two letterbox red beef tomatoes, perfectly ripe and just calling to be showcased. I also had a little bit of sourdough left, the ingredients gods had aligned and went for it.

Find the recipe here...https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jul/08/fennel-salad-recipe-to0ato-watermelon-pea-soup-yotam-ottolenghi

Any substitutes?
Annoyingly I had the Urfa chilli flakes in the cupboard but forgot to add them. Doh!

The actual cooking of the dish
I feel like all these stories contain anecdotes about my baby, and this one is no exception, I made this whole dish with her sat on my hip. Now that is multi-tasking.

I've always found salads a bit faffy but in my unending quest to find interesting and new ways to serve raw veg it's a burden I must bear. No simple chopping of  veg and putting it in a bowl, this dish required the heating of the oil with garlic and anchovies, then toasting the bread and adding to the oil, then cut the tomatoes and chop the herbs.

Finally time to assemble. Toss all together and eat.

What I thought
Too much oil was my initially reaction to this dish, the slight bitterness left in my mouth after each mouthful was disappointing. I think this could be because I used a supermarket own olive oil, I can hear my Spanish friend saying "what do you expect" all the way from Australia. 

Putting that aside, the zing of lemon working perfectly with the juicy sweetness of the tomatoes, the crunch of the the bread was epic. I love bread in a salad, carbs are never a bad idea. A slight fishy hit from the anchovies but mainly a salty vibe reminding me of seaside holidays.

I truly followed the recipe and added the parsley knowing I don't like it, this dish did nothing to change my opinion on this leafy herb.    

Difficulty: Easy but a bit faffy

Tastiness rating: 6/10

Next time I'd....I would try it again with either better quality olive oil or use less of it.  I don't think it needed the extra drizzle at the end. 

Comments