FETTUCCINE WITH SPICED CHERRY TOMATO SAUCE

FETTUCCINE WITH SPICED CHERRY TOMATO SAUCE




Why this one?
I love pasta and tomatoes so obviously this was going to be a must make for me. An unconscious epiphany struck me while doing the food shop this week as I ended up ordering 3 large punnets of cherry tomatoes without really knowing why, somewhere deep in my mind it was telling me to make this dish as it require 1kg of cherry tomatoes. My husband on the other hand thought I was returning to the days of added cherry tomatoes to every dish, and I mean everything- a bacon Sarni could not escape the clutches of my cherry tomato addiction. 

Find the recipe here...https://www.you.co.uk/ottolenghi-fettuccine-with-spiced-cherry-tomato-sauce/

Any substitutes?
I didn't have the dried ancho chilli, I know it was kind of fundamental but as I've mentioned before Stowmarket is seriously lacking in dried chilli providers.  I used chilli flakes instead, just a sprinkling. 

The actual cooking of the dish
This section is going to be very short as this dish was so so easy. 

I made it in 2 stages, the first bit while the baby was napping, basically cut all, and let me tell you 1kg of cherry tomatoes is quite a lot into half, cooking with some water, oil and garlic for about an hour and then that's the sauce done. 

Next cook the pasta and combine. 

What I thought
Big, powerful and delicious, the slow breakdown of the tomatoes intensifying their flavour, a little bit of salt and sugar really making them pop. 

The chilli, although not the correct one added a little bit of heat, but without it being overpowering, the tomatoes doing some of the heavy lifting in terms of mellowing the spice. 

It was so so so simple but absolutely divine. When the summer glut of tomatoes comes this will be the top of my list of things to do with them. 

Difficulty: Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Tastiness rating: 9/10

Next time I'd.... nothing different but could use the sauce as a pasta base for anything, veggies, meat or simply on its own. 

Comments