GNOCCHI ALLA ROMANA

GNOCCHI ALLA ROMANA





Why this one?
"Comfort food does not get any more comforting than this", this is how Ottolenghi described this dish- with just that little sentence I was sold. My best friend was coming over for dinner and we had planned on having a take away but I thought she deserved some comfort food, having had a brand new baby 10 weeks ago. This felt like the perfect opportunity to make this dish.

Find the recipe here...https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/yotam-ottolenghis-gnocchi-alla-romana

Any substitutes?
I used semi skimmed milk instead of whole milk

The actual cooking of the dish
Well it only had 8 ingredients so I thought I could smash the prep of this during my baby's nap time, oh wishful thinking for me.

If you want an arm work out this is the dish for you - mixing and stirring the butter, milk, nutmeg, Parmesan and egg yokes for 3-4 minutes. The mixture was so viscous it was like doing bicep curls with a 20kg weigh in each arm - for me this would be a challenge

Then allow it to cool but only for 15 minutes - cue baby waking up just in time for the messiest part of all. 

After distracting my little girl with a plethora of items stuck to the fridge, including her favour red bauble - babies like the strangest thing I rolled the gelatinous, pale yellow mixture between two pieces of clingfilm into 2 sausages and then chilled.

The chilled gnocchi was super easy to cut and arrange allowing me to exercise my artistic skills by creating a beautiful fan of gnocchi which was then baked.

What I thought
It looked so inviting, simple, mono-coloured and ready for devouring.

It was like cheesy stodgy, a little too un-textured/soft for my husband but exactly what my best friend and I were after, it was so warming feeling like one of life's simple pleasures. Reminiscent of childhood memories by virtue of the uncomplicated and simple flavours of the dish and its beige colour - think fish finger and chip dinners.

The green salad was a perfect accompaniment to elevate this children's dream of a tea to an adult version.

Difficulty: Medium

Tastiness rating: 8/10

Next time I'd....do nothing different. 

Comments