ROASTED BEETROOT WITH YOGHURT AND PRESERVED LEMON

ROASTED BEETROOT WITH YOGHURT AND PRESERVED LEMON




Why this one?
Not being a massive fan of beetroot this dish was borne out of necessity -  to use all the veg from our veg box. On multiple occasions I planned to offload the little multicoloured globes to my mum but forget so decided to give this a go.  

Find the recipe here... http://forrecuisine.blogspot.com/2019/12/roasted-beetroot-with-yoghurt-and.html

Any substitutes?
None - I had everything in the house

The actual cooking of the dish
I had planned to make this dish to go with a BBQ over the weekend but the pub, wine, friends and sunshine called me instead. However, I had already roasted the beetroots by wrapping them in foil and cooking for 30 mins.

When I actually got round to making this dish, it was simply a case of bunging everything in together and giving it a little mix.

Nothing complicated but having only got 200g of beetroots instead of the 1kg called for by the recipe I did have to exercise my brain with lots of one fifth's division. After an embarrassingly long amount of time in which I tried to work out 1/5 of 1.5tsp of cumin seeds I resorted to just guessing.  Anyone who can do that kinda maths I need you on speed dial for all my cooking mathematics.

What I thought
Having low exceptions I was very pleasantly surprised, firstly it looked beautiful. A mixture of deep red and orange ringed beetroots enticing with flecks of green dill and white yogurt. I am notorious for eating with my eyes so this really helped me dig in. 

Then onto the taste, what a joy, the beetroots sweet from the roasting matched well with the sharpness of the onion and the mellower but still slightly zingy preserved lemon. The cooling yoghurt with the freshness from the dill elevated the dish from a simple veg dish to an interesting and delightful showcase of this earthy colourful vegetable.   


Difficulty: Easy

Tastiness rating: 7/10

Next time I'd.... I would do this again if we had a glut of beetroot but wouldn't go out of my way to buy beetroots to do this. 

Comments