SPRING ROAST CHICKEN WITH PRESERVED LEMON

SPRING ROAST CHICKEN WITH PRESERVED LEMON



Why this one?
I am a massive fan of a roast chicken, particularly what our family calls a summer roast basically roast chicken served with freshly dug new potatoes and summer veg instead of roasties. But this was a slightly odd choice for me to cook as I have always avoided lemon style chickens probably after too many bad experiences of Chinese lemon chicken which I've always found overly acidic and un-enjoyable. Yet I decided to give this one ago. 

Find the recipe here... https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jul/16/roast-chicken-preserved-lemon-garlic-recipe-yotam-ottolenghi-roast-turnips-buckwheat-salad

Any substitutes?
Nothing - what a shocker

The actual cooking of the dish
After straining my tired, addled brain to work out the cooking time for our chicken - it was slightly bigger than the one in the recipe. I simply employed my husband to rub the blitzed butter mixture under the chicken skin - I just can't deal with raw meat and he is always an obliging sous chef. 

Then cook and based every 20 minutes or so. It was really that simple. 


What I thought
MOIST - I know this word has some connotations and it always makes me chuckle but that simply is the best word to describe the texture of this meat, so tender, it was as if the lemon juice had seeped into the flesh. The skin was full of the flavour of garlic, thyme and lemon, charred and crispy yet taking nothing away from the juiciness of the meat. Something that isn't always achieved with a crispy skinned roast chicken.

The abundance of lemon chicken recipes must mean it is a classic combination and I have just been unluckily not to find a good dish....until now. The sweetness from the persevered lemons offering the bright, zinggy taste of lemon without being overly acidic. It was joyfully subtle, taking nothing away from the chicken only enhancing it. 

Difficulty: Easy

Tastiness rating: 9/10

Next time I'd....nothing different

Comments